Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Butterflies


I hate dating. I avoid it at all cost and have tried desperately over the past few years to fall in love with several of my close guy friends instead. This tactic has ended badly in all attempts (as you can only imagine) and so I've recently recommitted to dating the old fashion way. Ugh-how mundane.

In my first attempt, I've started dating a hybrid of my old ways and new. I've known this boy for awhile through friends and our college days - an acquaintance, if you will. He's the nicest guy I've dated in a really long time. He's attentive, opens my car door, makes plans in advance, moves me out of my apartment (I mean, really, who volunteers for this?), calls regularly and is genuinely interested in my life. To be honest, its a stark comparison to the mediocrity I've let my dating world become. I really shouldn't be surprised when someone is eager to see me and willing to drive across town to do so - how have I forgotten that?

Here's the thing that's just killing me about this situation - he's just missing something. Or, more accurately, I'm missing something. You know, the butterflies. I'm hoping that my stomach has just forgotten this much needed response and those sleepy little boogers are waking up and any date now will come alive. Sadly, I think the reality of the situation is my heart is somewhere else, with someone else. Someone that doesn't open doors, would never consider driving to my side of town but knows exactly how to make me laugh and can read my thoughts like a book (which in itself is totally annoying and devilishly sexy).

I've decided though I have to continue on this path of dating the old way. I'm determined to find those stupid butterflies again and forget all about the boy that has captured mine and is holding them hostage. Maybe I can just hope for moths at this point?

No comments: