Monday, August 4, 2008

PMS: An emotional tale

Every girl can relate to the time of the month where the universe shifts and you have no control, whatsoever over your emotions. Last week was said time for me and I fought back tears, anger and even plotting a murder (its extreme people) all while trying to live a normal, functional life. Since becoming newly relationed (yep, I just made that up) I can now see clearly two sides of the PMS argument in relationships.

One side: Poor guy. I’ve never had such an easy target for my emotions when they swirl uncontrollably as I do now with a SO (significant other, get with it people). Suddenly everything about this new love is obnoxious and wrong. He doesn’t care enough about me. He wants to spend way too much time together. He puts everything before me. He loves me too much. It’s expressed by short, snappy comments and an unexplained hatred that is soon replaced by irrefutable love. Poor guy – he’s probably second guessing this relationship as we speak.

Other side: Poor girl. As much as guys think this PMS thing sucks for them, I’d argue (quite aggressively in this state) that it is a million times worse in my head. I’m continuously trying to decipher between real emotions and hormone induced hatred. I over analyze for hours and tear myself apart with all that is messed up in the world. I am not a crier so having to fight back tears because I came across a YouTube video about an elephant reuniting with its long-lost circus elephant friend is just frustrating (I feel ya, Kate). Note: I did actually sob in my cube watching this the other day, ridiculous.

This all came to light yesterday as I ate dinner with the SO and his friends. Somehow this topic gets brought up and one of the guys says that he’s heard girls can start to get on the same schedule if they are around each other long enough (poor boys – they really have no clue). To which I chime in “Yes, its rather entertaining at my house when all three of us will cry at a Publix commercial.”

(Side note: Are those not the WORSE when you’re hormonal? The little boy baking that heart shape cake for his ‘girlfriend’ which in the end he really made for his mom!! Bring on the tissues.)

Anyway – the SO turns to me and says “Yeah, but why would you cry at that?” Having passed the dead zone a couple days before, I simply laughed and said, “we just can’t help it.”

Oh PMS – you really are a foul little devil.

No comments: