Monday, March 31, 2008

Lobster dinner & me


I consider myself socially tuned to the graces of etiquette such as eating expensive dinners and attending theatre events. My parents (actually more my sister) was very persistent that I learn the good graces of etiquette when I was a wee southern belle. Unfortunately, I was not of legal drinking age and they didn't prepare me for the difficulties in following these rules after a few glasses (or bottles) of wine.


Thanks to my lovely career in PR, every so often I get the invite to a fabulous new restaurants in the ATL. Such was the case last week when the new Maxim Prime opened in downtown. (Yes, that's the same Maxim as the magazine - yet the wait staff was sadly disappointing in the sex appeal arena)


The evening started off great -- free open bar, six great friends and a free $600 dinner just simply because I know the right people who know the right people. Attendees at my table included my lovelies, a boyfriend of one lovely and two friends from college that I haven't seen in a while. One of those 'friends' also happens to be someone I like to kiss from time to time. We managed to drink the better part of Tuscany in wine that night and I was feeling very happy by the time the main course was served - this is where things just got bad.


Lobster -- one of my favorite dishes was set in front of me. Since it was the opening - we all decided we should share our entrees. I was in the process of dividing one (yes, I got TWO full lobster tails) when in a very Pretty Woman moment it went flying off the plate and into my purse beside me. I mean -- one second it was there, the next totally gone.


Luckily, only the 'friend' saw and this sent me into hysterics - the quite hysterics that I just sat and laughed at myself for a good minute until I could contain myself again. What is that saying? ...you can take the girl out of the country but you can't... yeah, something to the effect.


The night ended perfectly as it should - with a kiss (or a dozen). I guess my etiquette isn't the breaking point with this friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I move away and your etiquette goes all to hell! As long as when you picked the lobster up out of your purse, you made sure to then offer said lobster to everyone in your party. :)