Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Balls.

Men have them, women don’t. That is, until I decided to grow some balls of my very own last night.

After filming a TV segment for a client, KK and I jumped in the car to head to a concert last night with the girls. I had not been proactive in thinking through our evenings plans so had limited options for what I would wear based on what was in my car. I could either suffer through an outdoor concert in stiletto heels and pencil skirt or dig out my yoga pants and t-shirt from my gym bag. I opted for the gym bag because it was a fun night with the girls – and my feet were dying to come down to ground level.

Tangent: KK and I changed in rush hour traffic and no tinted windows. You’re welcome, 14th Street construction team.

Once we got there we met up with our friends, found the perfect lawn seats and spread our blankets to enjoy a night of The Fray. (Note to self: download band music before going to the concert so you can sing along and not look like a total poser – although I totally was) As the opener closed, I spotted a very attractive guy sitting in front of us. As the night continued, I found myself repeatedly checking in on my new crush and his friends – they were having tons of fun. I justified this steady observation because they were right in front of me so I’m not classified as a stalker.

Mid-concert I began to brainstorm the best way to get his attention. With his positioning in front of me he had no idea I was behind him – much less any reason to turn around. As I pointed this out to my girlfriends, it became a goal to give him my number by the end of the concert. God – the pressure! Never one to turn down a challenge, as the last song ended I wrote my cell number on the back of my business card and walked up to him. I stumbled over my every word while sporting my yoga pants – but I did it! I approached a guy, told him I was interested and gave him my digits.

I had grown balls.

This whole notion made me really, truly think about the position guys are in on a daily basis with dating. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to every guy I’ve ever led on, misinformed or screened your calls. I have a new respect for pick ups because the balls it takes to walk up to a perfect stranger, hit on them and then try to figure out if they are interested. Kudos to the boys out there – I’m proud of you!

No comments: